Paneer or cottage cheese is among the favourite ingredients. Not only kids but adults crave paneer recipes too!And with this easy Matar paneer recipe, you will find it easier to make authentic matar paneer at home.
Let’s get started with the recipe right away!
Making masala for matar paneer recipe
- Take these ingredients in a grinder and blend them well – ¾ cup chopped tomatoes, ½ cup chopped onions, ½ inch ginger, 2-3 garlic, 1-2 green chilies, 2 tbsp coriander leaves, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 10-12 chopped cashews, ½ inch cinnamon, 4-5 black pepper, and 2-3 cloves.
- Grind all these ingredients well into a smooth paste.
- Keep the ground masala aside.
Making Matar Paneer
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Sauté cumin seeds in a pan until they start spluttering.
- Next, add the ground paste and sauté on a medium flame for 10-12 minutes or until the oil starts separating from the paste.
- Cover the pan with a lid if the paste is spluttering too much until the spluttering stops.
- Once the oil starts to separate from the paste, add red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala. Stir the mixture well.
- If you wish you can add cream to make this authentic Matar paneer recipe creamier.
- Now, add green peas and stir the mixture well.
- Add salt to taste and water to make the gravy.
- Cover the pan and let the gravy cook for about 9-10 minutes or until the green peas are cooked.
- Keep stirring the mixture so it will not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the lid once the peas are cooked. If the gravy appears thin simmer it for 2-3 minutes more or until the gravy reaches the desired thickness and consistency. Do not leave the gravy too thick or too thin as it would affect the taste of the gravy.
- Add paneer cubes to the gravy and simmer on low flame for 1-2 minutes or till the paneer cubes are cooked.
- You can also add sugar just before adding paneer cubes for a light sweet taste. Do not overcook the cubes as they become hard and dense.
- Once the gravy is ready, turn off the gas and decorate the gravy with freshly cut coriander.
- You may relish it hot with roti or naan.
With these easy detailed steps, your matar paneer recipe is ready to serve at home.